Executive Committee || Objectives || Milestones || By-laws
1. The general objectives of the GAFS are those of the Asian Fisheries Society as defined in the Society’s Constitution.
2. The specific objectives for the GAFS are:
- To promote equitable effective interaction and cooperation among scientists/academics, technicians, fisheries officers and non-governmental organization experts involved in issues related to gender in fisheries and aquaculture with the objective of advancing research and practice in Asia-Pacific and other regions of the world. The aim is to welcome and facilitate research activity, sharing of information and publication of research results;
- To give greater visibility to and increase awareness of the importance of incorporating gender and more particularly women in fisheries and aquaculture interventions and to contribute to the development of these issues within these sectors. The action could include advocating for including gender issues within international programs and organizations;
- To advocate for the advancement of women within the fisheries and aquaculture sectors, including lobbying for gender issues within national and international bodies, collaborating with national and international organizations and any other measures as appropriate; and
- To promote the establishment of local networks of individuals (scientists, technicians, practitioners, managers and others) and organizations involved in (or linked to) gender issues in the fisheries and aquaculture sectors and to collaborate and cooperate with other networks and civil society organizations with similar objectives.
3. The above objectives will be realised by:
- Providing an effective research publication mechanism, in the form of special issues or sections of the Asian Fisheries Science journal or other suitable journals, the Newsletter and social media that facilitate communication among members and disseminates research and other relevant information on gender in fisheries and aquaculture;
- Holding, on a regular basis, an AFS symposium on Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries as a gathering of scientists, technicians and interested stakeholders who, in their professional capacities, can freely discuss broad issues and specific topics related to gender in fisheries and aquaculture, and publishing the proceedings;
- Providing further opportunities, as appropriate, on an equitable basis for fisheries scientists, technicians and stakeholders to gather by holding regular meetings, symposia, workshops, conferences and other gatherings, and research;
- Addressing important issues related to gender in fisheries and aquaculture interests in the region and globally;
- Facilitating channels of communication among members, stakeholders involved in the sector and the society at large to further knowledge on gender and women’s issues in aquaculture and fisheries; and
- Seeking collaboration with stakeholders, with a special focus on women in the sector.