“Gender equality thinking should not focus just on the numbers of women and men in fish supply chains”, said Gifty Anane-Taabeah (Ghana), the final panelist on Overcoming Gender Equalities in Fish Supply Chains. The panel and two presentation sessions (Markets and Value Chains for Small Aquaculture Enterprises and Looking at Fish Supply Chains with a Gender Lens) were held on the first day of the 2012 conference of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET) in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania. Rather, Gifty contended, “the overall aim should be how to empower women and men in supply chains to boost overall productivity.”
In July 2012, the International Institute of Fisheries Economics and Trade (IIFET) held its biennial conference in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. On the agenda, thanks to IIFET and the Aquafish CRSP, were sessions that included or focused on gender in aquaculture and fisheries, especially on value chains for small scale aquaculture and fisheries. The reports from the sessions are now starting to appear on the conference repository website (https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/32231).
Read these reports for a start (others to be posted on the site):
VALUE CHAINS SESSION INTRODUCTION by Dr Hillary Egna: download here
SUMMARY OF THE GENDER AND VALUE CHAINS sessions and papers by Presenters and Meryl Williams: download here
The above reports include summaries of papers of global reach and more specific regional and country studies from:
AFRICA: Lake Victoria, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Uganda
ASIA: India (including Kerala), Sri Lanka
Visit the AquaFish CRSP gender page for more.
Papers that can be downloaded are:
- M.L. Adeleke and J.A. Afolabi. Appraisal of Fresh Fish Marketing in Ondo State, Nigeria.
- Salehe, Mwanahamis; Mlaponi, Enock; Onyango, Paul O.; Mrosso, Hilary D.J. Contribution of Lake Victoria Dagaa Fishery in East and Central African Fish Trade.
- Olufayo, Mosun. The Gender Roles of Women in Aquaculture and Food Security in Nigeria.
- De Silva, Achini; Bjorndal, Trond; Lem, Audun. Role of Gender in Global Fishery Value Chains: A feminist Perspective on Activity, Access and Control Profile.
- Masette, Margaret. Sun-dried Mukene (Rastrineobola argentea) Value-Chain Analysis in Uganda.
- Cheke, Abiodun. Women in Fish Value Chain in Nigeria.