The Asian Fisheries Society (AFS) is offering up to 8 travel awards for developing country presenters at the 4th Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries (GAF4) events at the 10th Asian Fisheries and Aquaculture Forum. The awards are courtesy of a grant from the AquaFish Cooperative Research Support Program (CRSP) (http://aquafishcrsp.oregonstate.edu/) to AFS for GAF4. AFS thanks AquaFish CRSP for their wonderful support.
A: General Travel Awards:
Up to five GAF4 travel grants will be awarded to presenters selected on the basis of the quality and originality of their submitted abstracts for oral presentation. The grants are subject to certain conditions and criteria below. In addition, the abstracts must be received by the 10AFAF organizers no later than 10 February 2013 to enable the selection process to meet certain external deadlines. The amount of each award will depend to some extent on where the grantees come from, and take into account the costs of travel and other cost factors. The average amount for each award is USD$2,000 but may be less or more than this according to circumstances.
Selection Criteria and Conditions:
- Quality, originality and appropriateness to the GAF4 Program (as posted on the website of Genderaquafish.org) of the abstract submitted for oral presentation (abstracts must be received on or before 10 February). In addition, applicants who could contribute, to one of the panels or round-tables named on the program will be considered favourably. However, grants will not be awarded for panel participation only. Priority will be given to the oral presentation proposal.
- Applicant must be a national of a non-OECD country.
- A majority of the awardees will be under 40 years of age.
- A balance of women and men will be selected if possible.
- Aquafish CRSP participants are encouraged to apply and compete for awards but applicants are not restricted to AwuaFish CRSP participants.
- The GAF4 Program Sub-Committee will be responsible for making the selection and recommending the awardees to the GAF4 Senior Group for final approval.
- Awardees will be notified by the Chair of the GAF4 Organizing Committee and payments made on attendance at the 10AFAF and GAF4.
B. Travel Awards for GAF4 Session in Honor of the late Dr M.C. Nandeesha
Up to three presenters will be awarded grants to present at a special session in honor of the late Dr M.C. Nandeesha, the initiator of the Asian Fisheries Society Gender in Aquaculture and Fisheries activities. Dr Nandeesha, who died in December 2012, had a life long passion for gender justice and in the countries he worked, this meant creating opportunities for women, and especially poor women, in aquaculture, and ensuring that the educational, training, development and research institutes were receptive and supportive of women students and professionals.
The session, still under development, will be “STATUS AND CONTRIBUTIONS OF WOMEN TO AQUACULTURE AND FISHERIES: A SESSION IN HONOR OF DR M.C. NANDEESHA”.
For this Session, up to three selected presenters will each receive a grant of USD2,000 (average only – see explanation above) towards attendance. The awardees will be selected on the basis of their abstracts submitted for GAF4 before 10 February 2013. The criteria that will be used to select the grants for this session will be:
- Quality, originality and appropriateness to the special session theme, based on the abstract submitted for oral presentation (abstracts must be received on or before 10 February).
- Must be a national of a non-OECD country.
C. GAF4 Best Paper Awards
Two awards of $500 will be given, one for the GAF4 Best Paper and one for GAF4 Best Student Paper. All oral papers presented will be eligible for being considered for these two awards.
Abstracts for GAF4 may be uploaded to the main 10AFAF site. Also please download the Travel Grant_Annexure (blank form available as a doc file in the link given below) and mail the filled in form to firstname.lastname@example.org so as to reach the Program Sub-Committee of GAF4. Please note that to be considered for the Travel Grant the abstracts must reach the organisers before February 10, 2013.
<attachment no longer relevant>